Click here to view original article
President Gaetz formed the Select Committee on Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin (IRLLOB) to investigate policies, spending, and any other governmental activities affecting water management in the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin. The committee will conduct hearings and direct such work as necessary to complete specified tasks and prepare a report to be submitted by November 4, 2013, to the Senate Committees on Appropriations, Environmental Preservation and Conservation, and Agriculture.
The Committee’s specific tasks include:
- Review historic and current state and federal basin wide water management policies and activities, including discharges from Lake Okeechobee into the St. Lucie River and Indian River Lagoon;
- Assess the impact of current water release activities and evaluate the results of environmental priorities in the basin;
- Identify options for state and federal action to improve basin wide water management, including alternatives for discharges from Lake Okeechobee; and,
- Develop recommendations for improved water management.
Committee Workshop #1 Short Term Options or Alternatives to Reduce or Eliminate the Current Releases from Lake Okeechobee
The Florida Senate Select Committee on Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin (IRLLOB) will meet on Thursday, August 22, 2013, from 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Charles and Rae Kane Center in Stuart. This workshop is for receiving expert and public testimony on activities affecting water management in the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin. Specifically, participants will be asked to discuss the short term options or alternatives to reduce or eliminate the current releases from Lake Okeechobee. Workshop List of Participants (PDF)
- Thursday, August 22, 2013
- 1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Charles and Rae Kane Center
900 SE Salerno Road
Stuart, Florida 34997
Workshop Agenda (PDF)