- Named for the Indian River Lagoon in 1925 the County had been part of the Spanish colony of East Florida since 1821 and home to early fishing colonies like Sebastian
- Vero Beach is the County seat and the County hosts five incorporated municipalities: Fellsmere, Indian River Shores, Orchid, Sebastian, and Vero Beach and over 17 unincorporated, named places
- In 2000 the County was home to 112,297 people
- The County is 617 square miles with over 23 miles of coastline and a system of barrier islands
- Indian River County is home to the world famous Indian River Citrus providing locally harvested fruit and juice worldwide
- Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge established in 1903 was the Country’s first wildlife refuge.